Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring 2009, Jay

It’s been a long winter here in Montana and as I write this on April 8th, it’s still snowing! Must be the global warming umm…well it has been great for snow sports though. We have spent most weekends at the cabin and have done a ton of Nordic skiing at Bohart Cross Country Ski Ranch, and alpine skiing and snowboarding at Bridger bowl.


With the new Schlasman’s expert terrain open we have had some epic days in the deep powder! Cycling legend John Howard even came out to make some turns, it was quite a site to see John in his vintage cycling plus fours on the slopes!


Chloe is really growing up fast (3.5yrs) and is now skiing on the Blue runs making turns all by herself without a wedge or harness its awesome to see and I bet she will destroying me on the slopes in short order. Sarah has been very busy with work and running ultras. She trains with Niki Kimbal (2x Western States champion) and a bunch of her pals that are extremely fit. I skated with her and her friend Bob at West Yellowstone a few weeks ago and after 2.5hrs I was done and they did another 2.5hrs without any problem. It’s always humbling out here.

I did make a race appearance at the powder hound winter triathlon (run, bike, ski) and managed 5th place. These races are really fun and very hard with biking on snow being to most challenging discipline but I did manage my goal of beating all the women participants which is getting harder and harder to do as I approach 50 years old.

Windtraining class was another huge success with our largest turnout yet - 45 participants! Thanks to Jim and all the Spokeshop staff for all their support as well as all the hard work from all who attended.

Although the skiing has been great and there has been a greater than normal snowfall in the Yellowstone Valley, we have had our share of nice warmer days and we have hit some good weather for group rides. Since March we have had a solid 10 - 15 folks on the Saturday long ride and since the time change, the Tuesday night ride has also had a good turnout. Come join us for the group workouts.

Recently I have experienced some concerns with my left knee. I had the knee surgically repaired some 23 years ago which is why I got started in the sport of triathlon in the first place. The repair I had then was only supposed to last 15 yrs so I should be happy it has lasted this long and allowed me to so many extreme events. But it is always troubling to have curtailing physical issues. We will see if this is going to halt my training. I am still planning on doing the Peaks to Prairie Duathlon at the end of April and the 70.3 Orlando race in May. We will see. It may be a rehab year for me. Regardless, we are heading to Denver to see the Dead on May 7th which will be super cool and on to Florida to visit my parents after. Sarah and I are also looking forward to a get-a-way in the Keys by ourselves for camping trip!

After that visit we are planning a multi-sport camp in Boulder Co. (see info at right) and then back to Billings. We also have a very busy summer planned with trips out east and plenty of mountain biking and cabin time. Come out and join us anytime - we love to show off the big sky state!

Jay

3 comments:

  1. Looking good! I like this format better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. any suggestions are welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete