Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Marathon in Vermont



From Sarah:

Just back from the Green Mountain Athletic Association Marathon in Lake Champlain, VT, where I took first female with a time of 3:20. It was a small race and a soft field, but a very beautiful setting with incredible fall foliage along the lakefront, with rolling mountains in the distance. Great schwag and great post-race vegie chili, too!



I was a bit nervous since I hadn't raced a marathon for nearly 7 years when I decided to jump into this one -- and another about one month ago, the inaugural Bozeman Marathon -- because my training partner, Liz Nemer, was training for Rock N Roll St. Louis. After doing so many of the long runs with Liz last summer I decided to find a race around the same time, so we could train together. Since I had a work trip to do in Burlington, this GMAA race worked out perfectly. Plus, I got to sample excellent beers from hosts Meghan & Seth's Taproom.



I'm not fast, and I'm not a super star. But it sure feels good to accomplish small goals and succeed at them. This summer and fall have been reminders of how good it feels to train, race and compete. This is true even if the training isn't perfect -- as long as you are fit and can dig in deep when the racing gets rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment